Sunday 2 January 2011

New Year. Same You.

I resolve not to resolve ridiculous resolutions. I resolve to:
1) Drink less (those with me on NYE 2010-2011 will be thrilled to hear this)
2) Eat more
3) Sleep more
4) Think less
These are not legal clauses, they do not have '3 times a week' or 'every day' in them. They are true lifestyle changes, but achievable ones, and not gratuitous.

Last year I resolved to be a happier person. I am now happier, after two nervous breakdowns and a lengthy depression. Did I complete it? Considering that 11.5 of the months were spent in dire straits, I'm not sure, but the end result is a rejuvinated me.

The glossies will print endless 'New Year, New You' or 'New Year, New Body' articles. These irksome titles are futile, because at the end of each year, we are not new people. Why try to evade the inevitable; we are who we are, and can only polish up the best aspects of ourselves and learn to live with the flaws. Aspiration for perfection may drive the world, but the inevitable failure to reach it leads down a dark path.

This year, resolve to be the best version of yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment