Saturday 18 December 2010

Saturday Blues?

Faced with overcoming depression, I find myself reading 'Need a lift?', an article in Glamour magazine, one that I hope and dream of working at in the future. 'Yes', I think to myself, 'it would be jolly nice if you gave me a work placement, wouldn't it?! Then I wouldn't need any kind of lift'. Regardless, I start to read on.

So, what do I discover about happiness. Point 1: it's a choice. Point 2:  it's determined 50% by genes and 10% circumstantially. Not such great news if your family leans towards negativity and you're not in such a great place in your life. The good news, though, is point 3: 40% of happiness is determined by our behaviour. Here are my pick of the best ways to maximise on that 40%:


  • Smile (trick your brain into thinking everything's OK)
  • Catch yourself negatively self-talking, and stop it
  • Sit up straight again
  • Share positive compliments with others
  • Have your own little secret (jump around in the bathroom, dance like you're 5 again, talk in a silly voice to your dog)
  • Flirt with a random person
  • Breathe deeply
  • When you start thinking too deeply, shove on some upbeat music and dance, dance, dance
  • Talk as though you're happy. It's not a 'crap' day when it rains, merely a 'rainy' day.
  • Plan a treat
  • Clear out clutter
  • Get outside
  • Do something totally new
  • Clear out your wardrobe
  • Cull your facebook friends

I love these sort of 'empowering' things, and I 'ain't sceptical about them either. Long may this last.

No comments:

Post a Comment