Thursday 23 December 2010

Pursuit of Happyness

Pursuit of Happyness

10 gallon head. Is that what all this is about; all the space knocking about inside of a brain that makes us question and wonder?

Chris Gardner thought so, and Will Smith certainly wanted to show the world that he thought so too. Sometimes, someone comes through the rough and the tough to show us how things should be done, how we can strive to achieve things, and how we can pursue happiness (with an 'i').

As Christmas approaches, I compare last year to this. Last year I was in the same place, and so were my family. We celebrated with the same traditions, the same meal, the same routine. We were all the same people, on the surface.

Now we are a year older. And what have I achieved? I have achieved many things, and so have you. I don't know who you are, and if you are anyone, if anyone is reading this blog. But if you are, you must never let anyone dictate what you should or should not do. You should never feel guilty.

It is not your fault.

It is not your fault that there are people in the world who don't have enough money to buy food tonight. It is not your fault that climate change may or may not be ravaging the planet. It is not your fault that Hitler got into power in Germany and ended many innocent lives. It is not your fault that Planet Earth lives in a blur of consumerism and endlessly fills landfills with tonnes of waste plastic and electronics each year. It is not your fault that some people have lost the ones they held most dear and are still etched onto their hearts.

Do you have a responsibility? Yes. It is the responsibility of each of us to take advantage of what we have been given. To make the most of our abilities, our families, our privileges, our good fortune. What else is there that is beautiful in this world, but the strengths of humanity?

As Christmas comes and passes again, do not think of what you have not done, of what others lack, but of what we have learnt this year. I have left school, and left university. I left my time in Italy early. Did I fail? You might think so, but I no longer do. I have learnt that life is. Pure and simple. No rules, no shoulds, no musts.

Why? I don't know why. We will never know all the answers to why, or where, or when things will happen, or did happen. Nothing is for sure.

Grab life, and go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment